6.27.2012

something new

These barre studios have been popping up everywhere and I hear only good things about it on the internet and on blogs. Well, when an unlimited month special for a studio just down the street from home popped up on Plum District, I had to take advantage of it.
I haven't been good about being active lately. If anything I'll get a work out in once (!) a week...ugh, not good! I don't know what it is, but its certainly not good for my growing waistline and that tipping scale. 
And after sitting on that coupon for a month- making sure that I had the time to use it consistently and make the most of it- I finally went to my first class last night.

I perused YouTube last week to get an idea of what to expect from the workout, and it was almost exactly what I imagined...a quaint studio that is somewhat reminiscent of a ballet studio on a much smaller scale. The bars were positioned along the perimeter of the room. One side of the room was mirrored and the other side was decorated with different framed portraits of barre moves/positions. The bright, yet light teal colored paint added some charm to the studio, which I took pleasure in. They provide the mats, light weights, ball and yoga strap- all I need to bring was water and a towel. Oh and socks, preferrably with the sticky bottoms to keep your feet in place on the wood flooring.

The workout was everything I hated about Insanity workouts, that included "pulsing" of any kind. But I sucked it up and did the best I could, and it wasn't too bad. There was a lot of arm moves/pulsing in the beginning of the class, leg moves/pulsing (almost like squats) throughout the class, tippy toe-ing, and a bit of core exercises/pulsing at the end of class.

From what I gathered on the internet and my first experience with barre last night, I came to the conclusion that it is a mixture of ballet, pilates, cardio and tiny bit of yoga. I am so not a dancer or never experienced ballet classes of any sort. I was so lost when the instructor threw out words like plie or brush or extend your arms over your head- see I don't know what the term for that is! But I just went along with the other gals in the class and acted like I knew what I was doing.

As my new friend from class mentioned, I would be sore the next day- and indeed I am! It just proves that the workout did it's job and that I am out of shape. It is definitely a good workout and I did enjoy it - I do plan on making full use of it for the next 30 days. And from there I will determine whether I will stick to it for the next few months...or longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment