11.20.2012

races

It's kind of weird...I've signed up and ran more races this year already than I have ran collectively in the past 5 years. But the quantity of races I've run doesn't necessarily mean they have been quality runs.

October- Light the Night 5K
November- Breast Cancer 5K

The 5Ks are definitely fun runs and I don't mind running them. Three of the runs mentioned above were sponsored by H's company. Great practice runs and of course for good causes.
I blogged about the first four races, so feel free to check it out on the links above.

Light the Night 5K race that I recently did was pretty fun...considering that I've never done a race in the evening. With the weather being so warm for almost 3 months straight, I was glad to run an evening race with out Mr. Sun present. Since the run was the weekend before Halloween, costumes were encouraged. More notably the run was to honor law enforcement and make tribute to those who have helped out in communities to keep everyone safe.
It was a good cause, and I was glad to have participated.

Hazel, Char and I dressed up similarly and sported some bat wing headbands and custom-cut Batman shirts... because I'm such a big fan of the Batman movies! It was super fun dressing up and seeing all the other costumes, but it also caused some distractions during the run. I don't like to carry anything in my hand when I run, I prefer to have my iPod/iPhone strapped to my arm. And somehow I found myself running with a glow wand, along with glow sticks & glow necklaces around my neck that were bouncing in my face during the run. Thankfully the three of us decided against glow face masks, it was making us dizzy while testing them out in the car...lol!

The race started at the old Naval Medical Center parking lot near Balboa Park, went up Park Blvd, and back down to the same parking lot. And that's it! Suffice to say, the run was easy & fun, but I know I could have done better!


One week later we did The Breast Cancer run/walk...
Thank goodness we planned to get there early and seek out parking in the neighborhood, rather than shuttling it, which can sometimes be a pain in the a**. I have never seen so much pink in once place at one time, ever in my life. It was certainly a beautiful, pink Sunday morning and I was loving it!


We were surrounded with so much positive energy by happy, hopeful people, this was definitely a race that had a different sentiment to it. Fortunately I have not been affected by breast cancer, nonetheless a different kind of cancer has stricken a loved one, so I was more than happy to be here and support survivors and honor those who have passed on. <3
We were kind of late to the start line up, so the 5 of us (H, Kurtis, Char, hubs & myself) found ourselves blended in with all the walkers. I would say that 75% of the people at this event were walkers, so you can only imagine how difficult it was to get through the thick crowd of walkers. (element #1) Everything was fine & dandy until we reached the Quince Street exit and it was literally an uphill battle, which was figuratively downhill for me. (element #2) And if it couldn't get any more difficult, the sun was continuing to beat down on me as I dragged my a** up the hill. (element #3)
It was comical how the finish line was right there once you reached the top. Imagine that!
The race itself was not one of my better ones, but we were there for the cause not for the PR, right?

Great run for a great cause, please pardon the excuses elements mentioned above, just making myself feel better.
Wish me luck on my Thanksgiving Day 10K run.

10K, yes I will need the luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment